View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #16
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Starfinder thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I minor correction for your description of Stamina, Fred:
The 10 minute recovery is only if you spend a resolve point.
Otherwise, all SP overnight, level HP per night.
Given that HP don't appear to go up per level...
P.22, 2nd paragraph under Calculating Hit Points "At 2nd level and every level thereafter you gain the number of Hit Points list in your Class Description".

So every Human Soldier starts with 11 (4+7) Hit Points and every one of them gains another 7 at 2nd level and so on until all 20th level Human Soldiers have 144 Hit pts, no more and no less.

They will _also_ gain 7 pts of Stamina + their Con mod every level. As there is little reason for a 20th level Soldier to _not_ have a Con of 18 (stat ioncreases every 5 levels) he should have 220 Stamina Pts. Maybe 240 or more as Con can be raised by Magic/Technology.

First, it's weird to have both HP and SP going up per level.

Second it illustrates another facet of what I've come to think of as "The Laser Pistol Problem". which is that it's going to be extremely difficult if not worse to ever kill anyone with a single shot of a laser pistol or pretty much any other level-matching weapon.

You cold start out facing 1st levels with a total HP+SP of 18 or more and need 7or more hits from a 1st level laser pistol for a kill. Then at 220 th level you're facign a total of 364 HP+SP and even your 8D4 17th level laser pistol with your 10 pt Weapon Specialization bonus leaves you needing 12-13 hits. Everyone will probably just give up and close to melee range so they can use their 20th level Dimensional Slice Longswords for 14D8 + 24 or so. That'd only take 4-5 hits.

If you wonder, even Heavy Weapons don't do that much better About 40-50 HP + a 20 pt Specialization bonus would be the max.

So this sort of thing is why I'm getting a vibe that isn't really any technology. It's _all_ Magic.