View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Lamech

Default Re: [OCC] Poll : What makes a good PbP game? (will be applied)

Quote:
Genre: Fantasy, DF, Science Fiction, Supers, Space Opera and others. Which make you say "I've got to play this", and which do you particularly avoid?
I'm not overly a fan of DF. Sci-fi is cool (THS types.) Also urban fantasy Cabal-esque is pretty cool too.
Quote:
Activities Planned: Do you prefer solving puzzles? or is it combat that enthuses you? How important is character development? Is negotiation an enjoyable part of play?
Combat isn't great in a PbP format... The others work. I also note investigation works too.
Quote:
Supplement materials: Which sets of rules make or break a PbP game for you? This includes Cinematic vs Realistic, G:Magic, Thuamology, Supers, Psionic Powers, DF, MH, MA, and so forth.
MH 1 was great magic rules. MH 2 has good rules for investigation or solving mysteries. Social Engineering is good for games with lots of social interaction. Ultra-tech/bio-tech/spaceships is great for high-tech games. A couple of the low tech books are valuable for certain things. Quite a few of these books the players never need to "see". The GM can handle all the rules for investigation for example.

Quote:
Power Level: Do you love working with mounds of points? is such a prospect dull to you? does it matter by genre? similarly, (but not the same) do you enjoy being world shakers, or do you want to deal with peers? or is this even an issue?
Depends on the game and what the characters are supposed to be doing. You don't want characters with an inappropriate amount of power. If you are Cabal grandmasters 250 points is far too low. If you are newbie investigators discovering Cabal plots 1000 points is way to much.
Quote:
House Rules: Are they annoying or wonderful? If depends, what determines this? or are they just all par for the course?
Too many make things complicated and can be really annoying.
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 12-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote