View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #102
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Not being a big Traveller fan, I'm not sure what you mean by that?

I will say that the seeding did not take place billions of years ago, though. In most cases, it took place thousands to tens of thousands of years ago, and in some cases, hundreds of thousands to millions of years ago (tens of millions is rather less likely, but I'm not going to totally dismiss the possibility of surviving dinosaurs somewhere out there, or similar beings). I'm not totally certain that sapient life in this setting existed billions of years ago.

EDIT: It isn't just sophonts who were seeded, entire biomes (or significant portions thereof) were sampled and recreated on terraformed worlds, much like in the Orichalcum Universe mentioned in the OP, and a number of other settings. Not all were successful, of course, as important things might be missed and left out, but quite often, 'life, uh, finds a way.'
That really fits with what I know of Traveller, though I'm not super well versed in its lore.
Ancient humans and biomes were deposited on worlds across the galaxy. Some were modified to at least have a chance, but nevertheless many died out. Those that survived adapted to become unique and sometimes very different subspecies or outright species compared to those that remained on Earth.