View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #53
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Since I assume Long Rang Comms exist, but are not common, I think that will be my primary trade item (lets say, half my cargo space). If possible, I will just carry the rare-hard to construct components (if I'm lucky that means a chip or circuit board) that would allow most backward colonies to integrate them into existing systems or construct the easy to manufacture parts required for the working model (maybe I'll have my drone programmed to construct them!). Not only can I profit from the comms, but I can help establish long range contact and future trade.

I'll devote some space to other similar hard to manufacture components as is possible and profitable...
Comm range is about 100 light hours. The chips aren't the hard part, they involve warp-field tech. They aren't rare, but are rather expensive. They're a decent choice, but not quite "long range, despite the fact they'll cover a system quite nicely (Pluto is about 8 light hours from the sun).

(setting up a chain of them between stars is feasible but beyond his financial capability)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Somewhat leafy? O_o How much is somewhat?
half inch leaves are about as abundant as hair. there's a basic undercoat under that thats better sealed.

Quote:
Huh... There's something going on here that I just don't get. I sing in a choir, and though I can't read music for squat, I know that going up one octave shouldn't inherently give you the chipmunk effect...
It depends on how your voice is modified. the chipmunk effect is achieved by doubling all frequencies (played around with recordings to be sure of that). going up an octave is often the difference between a man and a woman, and you can usually tell whose voice is whose immediately. We're going up two octaves. Singing also behaves differently from other speech. If you want, we can charge a half value version of disturbing voice at -1 to the listed skills.

Quote:
Well, Gabriel has Merchant at 14, and is good with people, whereas Ezra is useless as a merchant, but still gets cargo space. I'd guess that part of your job is probably to get everyone good deals, and keep things profitable.
Quote:
I've got Merchant (ship parts), but I kinda meant for that to be buying spares for when something breaks.
Not entirely sure how I want to store the bulk of my wealth, will have something later.
Quote:
Do we pay the captain rent? Or does he find a crew use for (some of) us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
I'm guessing that the cargo space is considered part (but not all) of our pay.
all four characters are useful crew: the pilot/navigator, the merchant, the mechanic, and the doctor/cook. You are not assumed to be returning home, and homeworld money won'y be worth much, so room on the ship to store your personal belongings is part of your pay. The captain will take care of some planet side expenses and will give bonuses in on-world money when very profitable stop is made. Yes, Gabriel will be responsible for selling much of the stuff on the ship. He doesn't HAVE to help with the others selling stuff, but he may very well choose to do so.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-02-2013 at 12:57 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote