View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 04:51 AM   #52
hal

Default Re: Costs in GURPS dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post

What I was trying to say was that I kind of like the idea behind the Abstract Wealth rules, just not the execution. At least related to extra rolls.
If you ever get a chance, dig into BEAT TO QUARTERS role playing game. Their Abstract wealth system is such that you have a general wealth level as an attribute. If you want to buy things within your wealth level, that's fine. Go higher than your wealth level, and you roll a saving roll against the wealth level, and it can be "Damaged" making purchases later on more difficult. The nice thing is, as a product, it is a pay what you want item, which means you can get it for free. If it is worth a dollar to you to see new ideas - then it is worth $1.

Might be worth your while to dig into it. I don't use it myself, but that's because I have my own "equipment lists" that are period specific. I could run an 1812 campaign set at Sea if I wanted to - using GURPS rules (and GURPS VEHICLES 2nd edition). I could run period specific games set in the American Old West if I wanted to (Have an interest strong enough to have picked up TIME/LIFE librarary books, an Encyclopeida of the Old West that's 3" thick, along with a lot of other references including Old Montgomery Ward and Sears catelogs from the time period). I have an OLD 1900 Catelog that measures some 18 to 20" tall by about 12" wide that I inherited from my Grandfather through my parents. It is really FRAGILE now that I almost HATE to open it. Some of the products contained within it are definitely NOT politically correct today - but one such product is a device/contraption for people who talk too much whom the head of the house hold could/would buy and society would not blink twice at it. Different times to be sure...

It is very easy to find 1920's goods lists on the net, and it is also relatively easy to find earning values of various occupations in various states - one need only look online for the US Census material by Census. It is amazing what you can find in that.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote