View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
malloyd

Default Re: How to keep melee weapons relevant in a setting with "guns"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
(Note: I put "guns" in quotes because I'm not just talking about gunpowder projectile weapons, I'm talking about any kind of fast slug-thrower and even beam or "blaster" weapons.)
Your choices are basically nerf the guns (against some or all foes), or greatly improve the melee weapons.

My preferred universal gun downgrade is to halve the damage but add a (2) armor divisor to bullets - this doesn't get you too far, but does help some and its reasonable enough it has proponents who assert it's even realistic, which is nice.

The easiest gun nerf against some foes is just to have a lot of them with DR vs bullets (or equivalents like versions of Injury Tolerance). For humans to have access to this you'll need a cinematic rule, but there's no particular reason cinematic mastery of (whatever) can't let you buy limited DR as easily as anything else.

Melee weapon improvements are also more or less cinematic options, of which parrying bullets is the most directly obvious one, but anything you can only do with melee weapons will help some. Upgrading the weapons themselves is an option, but largely limited to "does more damage" which isn't much help if you can't get into effective range without getting shot.