View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #33
Icelander

Default Re: International Relations and Implications of US Supersoldier Experiments in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Here's a list of the countries the US does not have extradition treaties with. I don't know if it's useful, but you'd want to run to a place where they wouldn't return you to the US, right? Looking at the list, Russia and China stand out. Sadly, they cannot hide in Iceland.
Thanks. The list seems to be pretty wrong, though. I mean, Mexico is on it and I've read the extradition treaty with Mexico. It's used all the time and anyone who has minimal exposure to the news knows that Mexico can and will extradite to the US.

Also, plenty of countries do not have formal extradition treaty with the US, but would be unwilling to provide logistical support and either false papers or expedidated citizenship to deserters from the US Army who were accused of other serious crimes.

There were plenty of nation states without extradition treaties with the US who nevertheless did not volunteer safe haven and citizenship to Edward Snowden, let alone were prepared to be mount an operation to help him reach their country. Or to Julian Assenge, for that matter.

By contrast, an extradition treaty might not prevent accepting Col. Ortiz, his men and their families, if the treaty was such that the country could argue that it did not apply to them or they fell under some exception. Say, if they argued that the charges were political, the result of the US having committed crimes against the former test subjects and the attempt to cover that up.

But, as noted above, I don't really know which polities in Central and South America or the Carribbean would be willing to do this. The potential reward is pretty good, if they have been provided with enough evidence to believe in it, and they would get good press with any anti-US factions, but I get the impression that pretty much any nation state in the Americas would lose a lot if relations with the US went as bad as US-Cuba relations for the latter half of the 20th century. Economically for any country and in terms of security support, direct and indirect military subsidies, etc. for many of them.

Which would be the best candidates and why?

I realise that China, Cuba, Russia and Venezuela are pretty plausible, but I'm wondering if Col. Ortiz could stomach going there. My character* was in regular contact with him until 2011 and he has always been a law-abiding patriot. Even if he felt betrayed by the US, he'd probably prefer to turn to a neutral country to actually aiding and abetting someone he'd regard as an actual enemy. Also, he does not have a high opinion of dictators with poor human rights records.

*I'm a player in the campaign, with additional duties of an Assistant GM for Research and Worldbuilding, as well as GURPS Rules Compliance.