View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
Icelander

Default [Horror/Monster Hunters] American Small Town Mystery

I'm considering a one-shot adventure where the PCs are FBI agents sent to a small town to interview some people, as relatively insignificant part of a massive serial killer case involving the Behavioral Science Unit. The game will be set in the late 1980s.

I want somewhere that feels isolated, with interesting local colour. The FBI agents should feel like outsiders and have a hard time getting a handle on whatever weirdness is going on.

Parts of the United States that I'm considering are a) New England, in particular the most rural and wooded parts of Maine; b) the South, somewhere iconically southern, a small town where everything revolves around high school football; c) North Dakota; d) Lousiana bayous; e) an Indian reservation somewhere interesting; f) New Mexico; g) San Fernando Valley.

Suggestions from the forumites?

Edit:

My game ended up being set in the tiny town of Allagash, Aroostook County, Maine, as well as several neighbouring communities like Dickey, St. Francis, Saint John Plantation and, to a lesser degree, Fort Kent (passing through) and Houlton, ME (started off in).

Short background of the premise and the PCs.
Suspect and notes on victims (Victor Jude Dufresne, the 'Werewolf of the Village').
Piper May Sullivan and Theresa Lake, last two victims (8th and 14th of December 1988, conclusively shown to have been killed by Dufresne).
Five other suspected victims found in 1988 (one might be proved in court, four are working theories).
Twelve other victims found 1985 to 1987 will be linked to when I've written the notes on them out prettily enough.

Here is a GoogleDrive folder with pictures of characters, locations, equipment, animals and other things. Also some notes, in a folder cleverly named 'Notes. There's also a lot of discussion about some aspects of the setting in a thread here about 1980s American atmosphere, consumer goods, fashions, etc.

Pictures of the three PCs:
Special Agent Frank Corelli
Special Agent Rene Ledoux
Special Agent Maria Lucia de la Guerra Estevez

Last edited by Icelander; 12-30-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote