View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 05:40 AM   #4
Phantasm

Default Re: Darkvision (vanilla and magic -10%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Player: Its a magic sense ergo doesn't require phyiscal organs

oh an now I remember what set it off.

5. Does a Gorgon's flesh to stone transmite via Dark Vision?
It's probably possible to come up with a Dark Vision build that eschews eyes altogether, probably by Linking it to IT (No Eyes) with Switchable on IT, but I'd have to hammer it out.

If you plonk a power modifier like Magic (-10%) on Dark Vision, that power modifier basically tells you when the Dark Vision wouldn't work; in the case of Magic as defined in Powers, that means it's turned off in anti-magic spells and no-mana fields.

As for the petrifying gaze of a Gorgon affecting someone with Dark Vision, the gorgon's gaze is generally defined as "requires eye contact"; the gorgon and the victim both need to lock eyes with the other. I'd say that Dark Vision is actually a detriment in this case as it lets you make eye contact easier regardless of darkness penalties. (It's easier to avoid eye contact if you can't see the gorgon's eyes, after all.)

I can understand where his "it's magic so it doesn't need eyes" argument is coming from, but since GURPS errs on the side of "movie realism" (for the most part), you'd need to build Dark Vision in a manner that removes the eyes from the equation completely. Just slapping "Magic, -10%" on it tells you when he cannot use it, but doesn't give a benefit of removing the Mark I Eyeball from the equation. He'd need an enhancement on Dark Vision to do that.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote