View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #1524
Culture20

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Yep. This one dates to 1940. From what I can find out, she was the first superpowered woman to wear a costume in comics; there were women who had powers but wore civvies, and women who wore costumes but had no powers, but the WWII Black Widow was the first to have both. (Wonder Woman came a few months later, from what I can tell.)

They stopped using the original Black Widow in 1943, after five appearances across three titles, and then used the name for Nat in '62 or '63 as an Iron Man antagonist. (And after 1957, they wouldn't have been able to use Claire until the Comics Code was weakened in the 1970s anyway, due to her origins.) They brought Claire back into continuity in 2007 with The Twelve, a title that revived twelve protagonists from Timely Comics (Marvel's WWII predecessor) in the modern day, using the plot device of forgotten Nazi mad science stasis capsules. Unlike most of the Twelve, she survived the title and is presumably still active, though forgotten.

(And for your reference, I have Natasha statted up already, though I haven't touched any other characters from the Soviet/Russian Black Widow program that have popped up recently, including apparently one that was active in WWII - Nat in the comics was born during WWII, from what I can tell, though flashbacks to a team-up between Captain America and Logan to save her life are inconsistent to whether Nat was an infant or a toddler at the time.)
And there was also Yelena Belova in the 2000's
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote