View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Hall of Judgement - Sample Character Lisbet's Wrestling Abilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
The Wrestling Master advantage (provided in the Wrestler template in Pyramid 3/111) grants a greater ST bonus in grapples: +3 at DX+3, +4 at DX+4, and so on, with no upper limit. With Wrestling at DX+7, Lizbet's ST bonus for wrestling is +7, so 15 (base) +6 (Lifting ST) +7 (ST bonus for Wrestling Master) = 28.

In making the transition to Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, the decision was made to handle that increased ST bonus as an increase to effective ST for all grappling purposes (control maximum, contests, and CP); this keeps it simple (instead of having multiple different ST values for grappling) and lets the wrestler stay 'in the game' numbers-wise beside high-ST Weapon Masters.
And for those saying "but my goodness, a Grappling ST of 28, and that many control points . . . that's a one-hit win on many creatures!"

Yes. It is. So is the spectacular damage one gets with a tricked-out knight, which could be cutting or impaling to boot. In testing, while the Wrestler could absolutely rock most things that can be grappled, it's a one-trick pony and out of that grappling element, effectiveness falls off. She's "only" ST 15 when you're dealing with Striking ST and not-grappling, which is good but not spectacular.

Still: an awful lot of fun to throw down that many CP per turn.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote