View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Harald387

Default Re: Hall of Judgement - Sample Character Lisbet's Wrestling Abilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmervine4 View Post
For the Hall of Judgement sample character, Lisbet Vinsdottir, Human Wrestler on page 101, I'm having trouble understanding how her Control Maximum (CM) was calculated.

Her CM is listed as 28; however, I'm not seeing how that number was arrived at. CM is described on page 63 as being the total of ST + Lifting ST + Wrestling bonus described on DFRPG Adventurers, pages 92-93. For Lisbet, I would calculate this as 15 (her base ST) + 6 (Lifting ST) + 2 (ST bonus for knowing Wrestling at DX+2 or higher), which only comes out to 23, but her CM is listed as 28, so where is the extra 5 effective Lifting ST coming from?

I was also wondering how she has 3d+5 control on her grappling attack, but the math on this works fine if her effective ST is 28, so if I can figure that part out, this question goes away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?
The Wrestling Master advantage (provided in the Wrestler template in Pyramid 3/111) grants a greater ST bonus in grapples: +3 at DX+3, +4 at DX+4, and so on, with no upper limit. With Wrestling at DX+7, Lizbet's ST bonus for wrestling is +7, so 15 (base) +6 (Lifting ST) +7 (ST bonus for Wrestling Master) = 28.

In making the transition to Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, the decision was made to handle that increased ST bonus as an increase to effective ST for all grappling purposes (control maximum, contests, and CP); this keeps it simple (instead of having multiple different ST values for grappling) and lets the wrestler stay 'in the game' numbers-wise beside high-ST Weapon Masters.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote