View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #19
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Magical Gadgets versus Magical Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Gadgets (traits with gadget limitations) are only available if the item is "not for sale at any price in the game world." If a powerstone has a cash cost, then you can't have one as a gadget. If it doesn't have a cash cost, then it could only be Signature Gear by building it as a character. There is no price break doing it one way over the other, because the properties of the game world only allow one method.
Yes, I replace magical items with magical gadgets in my games, and they are usually not for sale. In general, magical gadgets cost less CP than the equivalent magical item as Signature Gear, though that is just an added bonus. I just loathe the mechanics behind magical items because they are needlessly complex and costly.

For example, a staff of Teleport costs 3,000 energy (7,000 with Power 4), with translates to 120 CP worth of Signature Gear (280 CP worth of Signature Gear with Power 4). Alternatively, you could just take Warp (Can Carry Objects, Heavy, +30%; Magical, -10%; Reliable, +10, +50%; Staff, Protected, -50%) [120], and you get better functionality. Since magical gadgets have better functionality than magical gear for the same CP, I ban magical gear and just have characters purchase magical gadgets.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote