View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #72
WingedKagouti

Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Though this is great information, it is not what I was implying. I was talking about enchanted roads that grants people the quick march spell. These type of roads are very useful to the military and economy. Being able to rapidly move resources around is great, doing it faster is better. To counter the need for rest and FP cost you would have on hand a few mages that can cast Lend Energy and Awaken.
See AlexanderHowl's post about why this is not feasible.

Quote:
For the enchanted roads, once they are constructed, it would need very little maintenance unless someone is deliberately destroying them, even then that is creating a niche that provides work for specific mages.
Weather and nearby plants would still necessitate constant maintenance unless you also plan on enchanting the road with various durability type enchantments. Which would be an even greater energy cost.

And before you go "but the old Roman roads are still around", a) that is far from all of them, b) the surviving ones are not even remotely in as good a shape as they were during the Roman Empire and c) they still see some amount of maintenance.
Quote:
I agree, roads that are "good enough" won't make it to the top of anyone list. The roads I am suggesting are "better than any road to date".
Sounds like you misunderstood what I was saying there. A "good enough" road would be any road that lets travellers get from one place to another in a reasonable amount of time. If the region has "good enough" roads already, they likely won't bother making better roads unless they have the resources to spare from other construction projects.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote