View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 12:17 AM   #13
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Picking up a dropped weapon while engaged - when do you stand up?

Between options (a)+scooping, (b)+scooping, (e) and (q) I'd say the rules are quite intentionally geared to get dropped weapons back into the hands of figures who need them as quickly and easily as possible.

More than that, in each case the rules go out of the way to add the verb "and ready." The retrieved weapon is always ready for use on the very next action phase after the moment of retrieval. (The retrieval itself finishes the figure's action for the current turn when using options (e) and (q).) Of course the figure could be killed, knocked down, or disarmed with Drop Weapon before that next chance to act, but otherwise it's back in business and comes out swinging. This fast pace is a reason to love Melee.
Axyl wrote: "It mentions "Bend over" before even stating "not moving". While it is not explicit, I take this to mean that the bend over is a movement phase action just by the structure of the sentence."
Every option has its movement phase component and its action phase component, but it isn't always easy or even possible to say where the act of "moving" ends and the act of "acting" begins. Some cases are crystal clear, but others are blurred.

Here we have a case where someone takes steps, bends down, grasps a weapon, and then readies that weapon for use. The latter of those things must presuppose they also straightened up to some degree, which is a fifth thing. The footsteps (if any) are taken in the Movement phase, the readying and presumed straightening is accomplished by the end of the Action phase, but there's really no way to say for sure where the bending and grasping fall in relation to the "border" between the two phases.

The most danger comes with option (q), because the bending over must be occurring in the front hex or hexes of one or more attacking enemies. Hence the +4 DX bonuses to all the attackers, although that bonus can't begin until the target figure actually takes their action.

So really anyone taking option (q) wants to go last. Here the higher DX could get them killed. If you are getting attacked either way, better to be attacked without the +4 DX going to your enemy. Take your lumps, then pick up your weapon. Act first to pick up your weapon, which you still can't use now until next turn, and take even more certain lumps from possibly even more enemies. Option (q) doesn't do the figure using it any favors.

Going way back to the OP: option (q) is a desperate thing you never want to resort to unless it's all that's left. The better tactic is to always carry a secondary weapon, and use READY NEW WEAPON if you can, or CHANGE WEAPON if you have to, to get that secondary weapon out. Worry about getting the primary one back after you win the fight. Using CHANGE WEAPON (for engaged figures) you could still get hit, but never at +4 DX unless you actually let the enemy get behind you. You never want to make it any easier on your opponents than you have to.