View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #50
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Realistic Invention Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm not sure that anything called a "component" is even an invention, rather than part of an invention.
A piece of code (e.g. several connected classes; in Unity 3D, actually a single class) that is meant to be a part of greater whole.

Quote:
The whole project is maybe a new invention (but maybe isn't, see below) individual modules of the code aren't anymore than you'd make the Wright Brothers roll to invent each wing strut separately.
If one needs to invent bricks before inventing a house, do they count as an invention? Maybe not - maybe they're considered too simple. Don't know for sure.

Quote:
I'm not sure "negative Complexity" even makes sense. What would that mean, something that's easier to invent then it is to manufacture?
A Complexity of -1 is something that is ten times simpler if terms of required processing power, RAM etc. and overall difficulty something of Complexity 0. Repeat for each step.
Also, since Complexity×-2 is the TDM for writing new software, a negative Complexity would result in rolling Programming at a bonus.
Apparently Complexity 0 is a program taking up something like 1MB of disk space, when compiled. The relation between compiled size, source size, and the actual amount of difficulty that goes into writing the code for a given program are of course highly tricky, but surely a plug-in that takes up a half-dozen classes, each no more than 20kb worth of source code (they're stored non-compiled for architectural reasons), surely is less than Complexity 0.

Quote:
At any rate, I'm not sure that most coding is actually inventing. Remember that GURPS treats different pieces of technology as the same thing. If you are making a Complexity 1 Word Processor, or Video Game, or Anti-Virus or whatever, well these things already exist at TL8, so you really aren't inventing anything, but rather manufacturing something.
At first I was somewhat suspicious about GURPS using the invention mechanic for writing software. I'm kinda on the fence now, but I'm not sure a pure crafting mechanic would be better.