View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Realistic Invention Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Oh. Well I just see inventor/R&D as one of the many various possible jobs, and where the invention rolls (concept, prototype and bughunt) are actually what the job is about.
You could just as easily say, "I see warrior/soldier as one of the many various possible jobs, and where attack and defense rolls in combat are actually what the job is about."

The everyday job of an engineer isn't "inventing new things", it's running tests, making models, measuring things, or even manufacturing parts (and dealing with the money people or administrators who do it for you). GURPS doesn't require that you even roll for this stuff separately, it just gets subsumed into the Invention rolls and monthly job rolls.

Just like the everyday job of being a warrior is training, physical conditioning, maintenance, and dealing with administrators and other organizational types. You can't claim +4 to +5 to all rolls in mortal combat because "this is his job" because mortal combat isn't an everyday task with predictable repetition in a controlled environment.

Quote:
I'm currently working as a (junior) programmer and the criteria of doing the job OK is whether (a) the new requested feature works as requested and (b) does so without bugs/gross resource-hogging/exploit holes/etc. Other programmers would occasionally read and comment on the code, but that's a matter of increasing my skills, not affecting efficiency assessment or anything like that.
You probably aren't creating wholly novel software applications by yourself everyday and sending out perfect masters by 1700 every evening of the next killer app. Mostly you are probably, testing and debugging code, and probably working with the other engineers on different sections of it. That's the everyday part of the job that you'd get at +4 or +5 on; debugging a section of the same code you've been working on for weeks.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote