Old 08-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #57
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Translating the concept of HP from D&D (and the like) to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Doesn't help with ranged attacks much too.
But I've been playing D&D for about 30 years and I really don't worry about it, and AD&D was much worse, since rounds didn't last 6 seconds as far as I remember.
They did.
Actually AD&D1 and 2 gave 1 minute as the length of a combat round:

"In adventuring below ground, a turn in the dungeon lasts 10 minutes (see also MOVEMENT). In combat, the turn is further divided into 10 melee rounds, or simply rounds. Rounds are subdivided into 10 segments, for purposes of determining initiative (q.v.) and order of attacks. Thus o turn is 10 minutes, a round 1 minute, and a segment 6 seconds." (PHB1 pg 39)

"Because a round is a full minute long, dexterity seldom is a factor in the determination of which side acts first" (PHB1 pg 104)

"The 1 minute melee round assumes much activity - rushes, retreats, feints, parries, checks, and so on." (PHB1 pg 105)

"A round is approximately one minute long. Ten combat rounds equal a turn" (PBH2 pg 122)

It wouldn't be until D&D 3.0 (in 2000) that this changed: "A round represents 6 seconds in the game world." (PHB3 pg 117)

Since the 6 second combat round has only been around at best for 19 years anyone with experience longer then that will have had to deal with the 1 minute combat round. A GURPS character would totally bury a AD&D 1-2 character.

Last edited by maximara; 08-23-2019 at 12:55 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote