View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 03:32 AM   #53
Aldric

Default Re: Translating the concept of HP from D&D (and the like) to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
The main problem with that explanation is it makes the base skill level of low level D&D character even more pathetic by GURPS standards. The one thing that I really like about 5e D&D is it got rid of the convoluted tables regarding hitting someone. AC = number you need to roll to "hit". Nice, sane, and simple and it roughly equates to GURPS' Dodge.

Better yet there is even some ideas on using a 3d6 rather then the d20 which makes comparison easier though it does change the dynamics of AC by a large margin.
Doesn't help with ranged attacks much too.
But I've been playing D&D for about 30 years and I really don't worry about it, and AD&D was much worse, since rounds didn't last 6 seconds as far as I remember.
I don't remember convoluted tables for hitting someone, it's been like that since 3.0, unless you're talking about THAC0, but even then, it was a couple of numbers, not tables, that would be Rolemaster or similar games...

Edit regarding the HP issue: I would start by removing shock and penalties for low health. Remove the rolls for unconsciousness and replace death rolls with unconscious. But honestly, I'd be very wary of any change, since the rest of the rules support characters that don't want to get hit, but fall rather quicky if they are.

Last edited by Aldric; 08-23-2019 at 03:38 AM.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote