View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Accounting For Race in Mass Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's not the case for this game. This is Banestorm during the Banestorms: populations are being dropped in the middle of a foreign land and having to fend for themselves. So I'm assuming sometimes the best choice IS to build a sheild-wall out of halflings.
Fair enough, but I would assume in that sort of circumstance, the Levy feature would be common if not universal, so cost to Raise would tend to be irrelevant. And the adjustments in cost to Maintain are pretty easy to explain - your halfling Heavy Infantry unit might be Poor quality, but they also eat only half as much as the same number of humans would, so you have to feed them less. Similarly, that unit of ogres are treated as Good quality, but they also eat more to maintain that muscle mass, and thus cost more to feed.

Still, if this doesn't satisfy you, I'd suggest that, rather than making custom racial modifiers which you have to remember, I'd just make up couple new special features, "Role-Suitable" and "Role-Unsuitable". The first would apply to any unit primarily composed of a species that would be particularly good for the role, adds +50% to TS, +50% to Raise, and +10% to Maintain. The second would be the reverse, a unit mostly made up of a race that just wasn't cut out for it, reducing TS by -50%, Raise by -50%, and Maintain by -25%.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote