View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Bows: Striking ST vs. Lifting ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
I would never allow that.

The entire reason lifting strength is cheap and striking strength is expensive is because lifting strength can't be used to attack. If they want to strike harder either buy full strength or striking strength.
In regular rather than cinematic games, Lifting Strength really only comes into play for extra damage every second or third turn because of the long reload times for bows. It's also definitely not a striking-speed biomechanics, so Lifting ST fit as a description better.

Still, of course: your game, your rules.

But given bows are based on thrust rather than swing, it's 6 points per +1 to damage, and that +1 happens every second to sixth turn depending on how quickly you're shooting, compared to 5 points for +1 to swing damage anywhere from one to many times per turn . . . I'm not worried about balance!

In a cinematic game (like DF) where you can quick-ready, quick-draw, Heroic Archer, and basically fire arrows like an elvish ferret on drugs, I'm in complete agreement. DF and the DFRPG take pains to make the scout as nasty on a turn-by-turn basis as many melee fighters, so putting them all on the same ST basis is probably the right call.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote