View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
b-dog

Default Re: Henotheism in the Nordland world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
The reconsecration idea reminds me of my fascination with "forgotten" gods whose power has faded to almost nothing. This could happen after a conquest when a new god with a similar portfolio replaces the old one. Or after a calamity destroys a particular deity's people (a god of Atlantis, for example). Or perhaps a god just becomes unpopular (perhaps rightfully so) and is eventually replaced with more popular upstarts.

Finding an artifact to the old god could be an interesting story in a campaign. Perhaps the item can be reconsecrated to a new god. Or, it might awaken the old god, who may or may not be pleased (but may not have the power to directly intervene, even with servants). I've used elements of this in a number of campaigns in the past.
I agree that the old forgotten gods are a really cool idea. Maybe the god is resentful of mortals not showing reverance but maybe the god is not capital E evil. Or maybe the god has embraced the dark side and wants revenge on mortals. There are a lot of interesting ideas in the forgotten god concept. Maybe the PCs explore a ruin that has a temple to the forgotten god?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote