View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
stefanj

Default Re: Astrology questions

Answering #2 first:

In the context of the article, I don't think horoscopes per se are good for anything but therapy and reassurance, or (with more math and observation, and less psychology) seeing what's in store for wizards linked to the cosmic flux.

When I wrote "...the astrologer's fortune for a notable client proved spot-on", I wasn't suggesting that the stars actually told the client's future. More, a combination of luck (the vague hints and allegory in the horoscope meshed with real events) and the astrologer's ability to read his or her client's mood and relationships.

A pop-psychology horoscope might take half a work day, including an interview (perhaps over a pot of tea and biscuits), consulting books for interesting sounding phrases, and writing a report. Cost would be perhaps $10, $15, and $50 for the three grades. (With 6 - 10 readings a week, this can result in a lot of cash. But an astrologer has a lot of expenses: Tea and other refreshments, books, ink and paper or parchment, impressive robes, and bribes to servants who might provide gossip that can be worked into the fortune.)

The more rigorous "predicting the pattern" requires (as mentioned in the article) observation time plus half a day of computation. More straight forward work, without creative input. Perhaps $30 for a four week forecast. (It would be less, but spending a good part of a night on a roof doesn't come cheap!)

As for #1 . . . sorry, that could have been clearer! The outcome of the tests, and the rewarding of the orrey, depends on the applicant's qualifications for the job. If they have the qualifications for Court Astrologer, they get the neat gold pin and referrals to deep-pocketed clients.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by stefanj; 09-03-2019 at 08:52 AM.
stefanj is offline   Reply With Quote