View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 02:52 AM   #19
JLV

Default Re: Cloth under Armor and Capes

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Perhaps you don't have the Legacy edition yet? Doubling costs per point is how it works. The issue is that this quickly spirals to a point where your stats are probably not worth raising above 38 or so (because the points would be better spent elsewhere), and are never going over 40-42 (because the player will die of old age before the character earns enough XP).

To be clear, I think this is fantastic - TFT is at its most exciting and characters are most interesting at these sorts of attribute totals. Anyone just getting into the game is well advised to stick strictly to these constraints.

My main worry is that the publishers have already telegraphed that they don't take the XP rules very seriously when it comes to designing adventures and powerful NPCs.
I was referring to attributes beyond the 40 point total -- which are currently "forbidden" in the RAW. Just remove the limit and let them go to town. Odds are, you'll never see anything approaching either Conan the Wizard or Einstein the Barbarian despite the removal of the limit, simply because it's too expensive and there are all those lovely skills and spells you can invest in instead.

However. A similar issue will still crop up in a long-running campaign, because eventually every character will have every spell and talent and, once again, they'll all look alike.

Finally, keep in mind that every adventure included in the Legacy Kickstarter was originally drafted under the Metagaming version of the rules, and converted to the new Legacy edition rules, but in order to keep the relative threats of the characters in those adventures, they kept them pretty close to the originals. I suspect that as new adventures are published, you'll see the new rules adhered to much more closely (and, indeed, we have some evidence of that in the two that were already released to the public before the "Adventures" Kickstarter).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote