View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
Joe

Default Re: Advice on running a Wuxia game

I've never tried it myself, so it may be bad advice, but in the past I've heard people suggest halving the cost of martial techniques.

Why? Well, in a purely martial-arts-based campaign, you want each of the characters to have their own distinctive way of fighting. The same goes for the major NPCs.

Putting a cap on attributes is a good first step here, as Kelly Pedersen mentioned. That way, you don't just have everyone running around with DX 19, or similar.

Sometimes, though, the result is that everyone just ends up with super-high levels in Karate and Judo, and then defaults most of their maneuvers from that high base skill. This is because in 4E (unlike in 3E), one you've got a technique or two, it's almost always more efficient not to invest in additional techniques, but instead just to raise the base skill.

Now, for many campaigns this is a good thing, since it simplifies character sheets, cuts down on analysis paralysis, and speeds play. That may be exactly what you want - fast combat suits Wuxia! But if half the fun of the campaign is meant to come from dramatizing the differences between different fighters, then you might want to encourage more differentiation - and halving the cost of techniques would be one way to achieve that.

Again, I've never tried it myself; I'm not sure if it's the best way to achieve that end (actually, I'd be really interested to hear what other forumites think about this). But it's something to ponder.

Last edited by Joe; 10-29-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote