View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #274
Bayarea

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

[QUOTE=JLV;2147322]Steve, since we're on the subject of rules issues, one of my main ones has always been "attribute bloat." I've written about it several times over on Mark Tabyanan's fan-site, and pretty much every house rule I've ever made for TFT has been dedicated to overcoming that issue. If the average human female has a ST of 9-11 and the average human male has a ST of 10-12, being able to bump a character up to a ST of 43 seems...excessive. Similarly, if an IQ of greater than 14 is considered "genius," and we know that actual "geniuses" are rare in human history, an IQ of 36 somehow seems extreme. DX, at least, tends to be self-limiting to some extent -- after about 20 it's really sort of pointless to add in extra DX points for the most part.

I have to respond to the bloat misconception. This is what gets me even playing the same character for 35 years it would be nearly impossible to get to ST 43, DX20 and IQ 36. Even with wishes which are limited to increasing an attribute to 16 you would have get 47 more attribute points a 95 point character at 640000 EP to get one attribute point. Or to put it another way you would have to kill 10000 7hex dragons if it was only the one character getting all the ep. The beauty of the system is that people still get killed just like real life. I have gotten a couple of characters up to the 56- 60 point range but then they retired or became sponsors for younger PC's, but most die at some point due to either a bad die roll or treachery. Rich people tend to have enemies.
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote