View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 AM   #258
Chris Rice

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Because I am a troublemaker, I will point out that TFT had two implicit classes: those with magic talent, who got to buy their spells cheaply, and everyone else.

But I am not going to propose the introduction of a class system. I'm not that heretical. I will admit that that kind of system has its points, pun not intended . . . but just no. D&D has that base covered.
Ha! I even did away with that distinction. I saw no reason why Wizard shouldn't just be a talent like everything else. So that's what I did. I had two talents as I recall. The first, "Magic User" was IQ 8 and was designed for Witches, Hedge-Wizards and those without formal Magical Training. Magic Users could use spells up to IQ 13. "Wizard" was IQ 14 and allowed learning and use of all spells up to IQ 20.

I also had two levels of Clerical Magic: A "Devotee" could cast blessings and call on some minor God powers. The higher level, "Priest" allowed the performance of higher level stuff like performing religious services, consecrating shrines, curses, etc.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote