View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
Tom H.

Default Re: Miniatures Set 2 Assembly Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Can we get a canonical reply as to how the SHVY guns are to be placed? The gun parts are made in both left and right versions (the smaller co-located barrels). So do the small barrels both go outboard, or do they both go inboard? I seem to recall on the metal minis they both face to the right of the tank.
I decided to check the Designer Edition counter art.

As you indicate for the metal minis, each main gun shows a coaxial, small gun to the right (starboard) side.

The cool Brandon Moore cover art with a superheavy is ambiguous because the viewpoint would not reveal if the coaxials are hidden or not.

Of course, due to the miniature part variance, the right side orientation is not possible on every tank.

I'm always very curious as to how deeply a fictional design was logically considered versus going with more of a quick aesthetic or later justification.

Does anyone know how the main guns are targeted?

According to GURPS Ogre (which I just started reviewing) the huge gun enclosure is not a turret.

I've considered three possibilities:
  • Mounting joint has elevation but no azimuth (see art linked above.)
  • Mounting joint has azimuth but no elevation (seen on some pieces of art in GURPS Ogre.)
  • The shells may have some independent guidance.
In the case that the superheavy main guns only have elevation targeting, I think it makes most sense to orient the coaxials "inboard." In that configuration they could target troops more easily between the protruding track housings.

Last edited by Tom H.; 08-11-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Clarity
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote