View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
ArchonShiva

Default Re: [Skill] Human Echolocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
How does this overlap with the Blind Fighting skill?
If you have access to Blind Fighting (which is a cinematic skill requiring an expensive advantage), use that for all attacks and defenses- it's meant to be much better. Use Echolocation for avoiding pits and walls, maybe.

Blind Fighting doesn't say anything about range, but is written as if everything was within reach. Depending on your GM's interpretation, you could use Echolocation to spot enemies at some distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Underground Adventures has a note on doing this with Blind-Fighting.
See, I knew this had to be somewhere, but I did not think of UA! It's on my buy list anyway, so I might check that out. Thanks! We need an online searchable index of GURPS, seriously.

However, the combat applications of Blind Fighting are way too great for a mundane blind person skill - and to waive Trained by a Master. I guess "Unusual Training: Blind Fight except in combat" would be legal, but the name just boggles the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm kind of reminded of vibration sense. Have you looked at that?
I did, as well as scanning sense (since Echolocation is basically sonar), and I think they're both really meant to be exotic advantages, not something an ordinary person could learn from training - although I did consult these entries in writing up the skill, and the mechanics are quite similar to Scanning Sense.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote