View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Using FATE Core for a THS Campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I'd imagine that you might want to look at Mindjammer, too, that being a recent posthumanist SF game using FATE.
Thanks for pointing out another TH game. I might take a closer look at it some time. (Note: I'm not planning to GM FATE THS, but I might be willing to play it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I haven't played much FATE, but what I have done doesn't make me optimistic about this. THS as I've played it has been largely about understanding the environment, and trying to figure out how to deal with it.

FATE seems very centred on the characters' ideas, backgrounds and other things that make up Aspects. It seems to be about making the world conform to the characters' dramatic tropes.

These don't seem highly compatible.
To me, all RPGs were largely about understanding the environment, and trying to deal with it. This is one of the reasons why FATE is such a weird thing for me. It seems to have a way of handling Details That Matter while also being a light-ish system. Now, the whole 'character themes can be more important than character traits' is very meta for me.