View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #256
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Mechanically I'm not sure how much difference there's meant to be between mental/physical stun except for whether your roll vs HT or IQ (or Will if fear check) to get out of it. Buying up basic attribute defences being priced differently would be one, as that's 10/20/5 depending (and fear itself I think has a leveled perk for Will rolls ONLY against fear)
Fearless is 2/level, not a leveled perk, but the point stands. I don't think the difference was made on the basis of balance though. I think its just a rather natural reflection of the behavior its attempting to emulate. The traits mentioned do a LOT more than break stuns though, and I don't think stun is that large a part of their utility... but I also don't play much combat.

Quote:
One thing that occurs to me, is that while in the original system during a Do Nothing you could roll to resist someone trying to break your grapple, in Technical Grappling attempting to resist someone using Break Free is done as an Active Defense, either a Dodge or a Parry...

It actually becomes way harder since -4 on an active defense is much tougher to overcome than -4 on a quick contest, but that's fine, because the idea of someone stunned and unable to attack being competent at maintaining grapples is hard to accept to begin with.

The idea of replacing quick contests with attacks/defenses was also adapted in Pyramid to rolls to use Possession (and resist it) so now I'm wondering how feasible it might be to do this with other kinds of contests, like Evade/Obstruct contests...

In both cases they deal with introducing 'points' though. Due to "Mental Control Points" I like to refer to TG's "Control Points" as "Physical Control Points" instead...
What pages and books would I look this up in?

Quote:
What if a third kind was something like "Hex Control Points" and it had to do with how much influence you have over your own and another's relative positioning? It'd fall somewhere between the others since it would be a mix of mental and physical influence...
For another game, it could be interesting. I thought we were staying out of TG for this fight.

Quote:
Yeah, and ways to make it less impressive than intentional collisions without making them non-damaging and without boosting intentional collisions to unbalanced levels.

Which is why accidental collisions being unlikely to strike (max 9 or less) and easy to avoid if they do (like telegraphed) seems like a way forward without tweaking damage too much.
That could work... I still think damage should be mitigated though.

Quote:
Charging for the hex changes when moving front-left and front-right is a solve, as I'd like to charge for all rotations to incentivize less mobility for conserving energy.
I don't like charging for rotations unless you're moving, and moving fairly fast. I think that its important not to charge too much AP for "Footwork"

Quote:
Chess-like battle maps? Is that where D&D began?
There's a comic telling the story.

Tabletop RPG's grew out of wargaming, and in many ways replaced it. Dave Arneson's group (which was the model Gygax worked off of) was a bunch of wargamers who started playing with smaller units and working more and more story into their play.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote