View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #234
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Even if a HT roll MoS mitigates that?
hmm. That's a good point. that might change things. Or it might not. Would it be too fiddly if it only counts if the AP is spent?

Quote:
My charging AP for evade is due to it being a 'technique', mechanically I think it functions like a 'free action', much like with Roll With Blow, which also is not an 'attack' but which I justify charging AP due to it being a 'technique', which apparently always has a cost unless stated otherwise.
Oh, that's right, we house ruled in evade costing AP, mostly because it obviously involves a lot of tricky movement. I still think the evade cost can count as acceleration towards slowing down. Its all about shifting around and misdirecting your opponent.

Quote:
I agree that perhaps a successful "obstruct" should count like a successful attack roll against the guy who attempted to evade.

To deal with the situation of "I want to avoid touching the guy I'm trying to run past", I think in that situation, if the evader does not want some kind of contact, then perhaps he should be able to roll a dodge against it, to pull back?

I have that kind of concern with parries too. You might be in a situation of "I want to punch this guy in the face, but if he puts his electrified-metal arm in the way of his face, I want to pull my punch back and avoid hitting that arm!"

Basically recognizing that the one you're trying to outmaneuver has guarded a specific zone and to stop the attack.

The best idea I have for that would be to treat it like a no-contact parry, but at -2 to skill (-1 to parry) for "doing two things at once" since you're attacking and then NCPing with the very same limb. A dodge could probably substitute as well.
That's a tricky situation, and one I've looked at a few times, mostly in the context of destructive parries. Here's the thread I made on it

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote