View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Human shape shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've never heard that claim before. Is there a page you can point me to, or does the claim just hang on logic?
The Alternate Form advantage itself states you must pay 15 points for each additional form. An optional rule from Powers isn't going to override the default pricing scheme of an advantage.

Also, since Alternate Forms are never meant to be used at the same time as one another it seems very odd to even suggest that you can take a limitation that, in part, gives a price discount because you cannot use more than one at the same time. This is a built in limitation of the Alternate Form advantage and is already discounted in the pricing of Alternate Forms since you only pay for the single most expensive form.

Burning Attack (Fire Ball) and Flight (w/ Flame Jets) make some sense as alternative abilities, because you are using your fire manipulation abilities to do two separate things and you are giving them a limitation that you can't do both at the same time. Effectively you have one ability which you can manipulate to do two (or more) different effects, each of which is modeled as a separate Advantage in GURPS.

Alternate Form (Wolf) and Alternate Form (Great Eagle) just don't make sense on the same level, because you can never be a Wolf and an Eagle at the same time. See a Kromm Quote on it here and one by PK here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p. B84, Alternate Form
If you have multiple forms, pay full cost for the most expensive form. The less powerful Alternate Forms cost a flat 15 points apiece.
That is, the pricing is [15] for the most expensive form, plus 90% of the Template's cost, and an additional [15] point for each additional form.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-26-2015 at 05:54 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote