View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 05:55 AM   #16
Varyon

Default Re: Should Waiting permanently change your place in the turn sequence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
And everybody between A and C gets a chance to swing at him while he's not wide open, but if he attempts to defend his action (All Out Attack C) is now invalid and he's arguably lost his turn, depending on how much detail the GM requires when declaring a Wait. Yeah if he lets you get away with "I Wait until C acts and then I'll take my turn" there's a slight opening there, though I think it's more theoretical than something that ever actually comes up in play, but I'd insist on both more detail on what C has to do to trigger the Wait and exactly what your action will be when that happens, and if it's AoA, then yeah, can't AoA anymore, you Do Nothing. Admittedly it's traditional to allow the player to convert his planned AoA to a normal attack, but you don't [have] to allow that, and requiring Do Nothing if he can't AoA anymore closes this "loophole" just as effectively as rearranging the turn sequence without any extra work to keep track, and no risk of messing up something else you haven't thought of.
It's not merely "traditional" to let a character who intended to AoA do a normal Attack instead of a Do Nothing if he/she defended before the Wait was activated - this is the default rule (see B366). And, yeah, making Wait even more restrictive avoids this exploit, but does nothing against the others I listed - Judo Throw->Pin, Arm Lock->Throws From Locks, etc.

To be clear, I'm not saying everyone should have Wait shift the turn sequence. Heck, I'm honestly not certain I'd want to do it. But I don't think everyone basically saying "Nyet! Rules are fine!" is useful for this discussion.