View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Do you have any special rules/restrictions to regulate character advancement paci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I wasn't talking about anyone's particular inclination to run something; I was talking about the definition of the word "campaign" as it relates to role-playing games. I also said *I* was considering a troll wars campaign, not you. It was a hypothetical to demonstrate the meaning of "campaign" as the adventures leading up to achieving a particular objective (allowing other, unrelated objectives), rather than the sum total of all adventures a set of characters in a particular setting have.
I don't have very good experiences with players demanding sequels to campaigns that I have ended (even inexplicably for campaigns that ended apocalyptically). If I say the campaign is over, I want it to be over.

If in that hypothetical I wanted to run another story arc or adventure path or whatever you want to call it, I wouldn't have said it was over.

In the case of AlexanderHowl's suggestion, do they get the five points at the end of the troll wars? In which case that's the same as giving them the points at the end of a major story arc, whether you call that a "campaign" or not. Or do they get it after all their adventures are over and you say you are done running the game? In which case I suppose the purpose is if another GM chooses to allow the character at that point total they might, or if you chose to allow them at that point total in an otherwise unrelated game, but IME these aren't common events and I think in either case they are going to allowed on whatever points they are allowed, so their bonus points from the other game aren't especially meaningful.

Giving them five points after I said that I don't intend to run it again, seems to be encouraging them to bug me about running it again.

Giving them five points after I ended the world and they ascended into paradise and are very clearly not PCs anymore is going to encourage them to try to give me an aneurysm.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-12-2018 at 12:37 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote