View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
Varyon

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul - Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Glad my breakdown shows some utility.
I'm actually surprised my system ended up matching decently well with the fight, as a lot of the IP costs were just semi-educated guesses. I did have to contort a bit at the end to get that last strike by Red, but I think that's more an issue with some of the game balance stuff - only being able to change stances on your turn, out-of-turn costing double - than anything else. Toning that down a bit, he probably should have been able to do that last strike as an All Out Attack without taking nearly as many penalties as he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm afraid my inclination is to decrease the amount of bookkeeping that's needed to run combat, not to augment it. This seems like it would have to augment it.

At the very least, you need to open with a paragraph that motivates the adoption of the system, rather than just saying, "There are games that do this, so what would it be like if GURPS did it?" Rhetorically it's more effective to put the big selling point up front.

Bill
The concept is extremely niche, and I strongly suspect anyone who would be interested in implementing it would already have the inclination. It's not going to be an easy system to implement, and the gains are probably minimal, but it addresses a few (arguably minor) concerns of mine and seems like a neat concept to me.

As for bookkeeping, GM's who have access to a computer can easily set up a spreadsheet that will handle a lot of it for them - and honestly, I'd suggest against using the system if you don't have such a setup. With two combatants involved it's fine to do it in your head or some scratch paper, but once you've got multiple combatants with different Init values, it could easily get overwhelming.

Last edited by Varyon; 09-19-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote