View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #39
demonsbane

Default Re: Translation problems in new GURPS Lite Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
(...) The problem here being that this should work for crushing, cutting and impaling weapons. Your suggestions work well for sword-like weapons, but if you have a quarterstaff, you thrust with it, and you swing it, but you're neither doing "Estocadas" (normally associated with point objects) nor "Tajos" (that is usually associated with the wounds of cutting weapons). For further fun, imagine a pick, that does swing impaling...

3rd ed used "Acometida" for "Thrust", and I think it's the best we can find. It used "Mandoble" for Swing, and there is where we could find some improvement.
I agree that is the core of the translation problem for Thrust/Swing in the GURPS context. If you choose a term, then it works well for a determinate type of attacks ("Tajo" for swinging swords), but it doesn't fit for other types of swinging attacks (OK, Kuroshima already said this).

"Estocada" (a proposed translation for Thrusting attacks, related with the Rapier -in Spanish, "Estoque") raises the same problem: it suits for Impaling attacks and such, but not for punches to the face. I agree currently "Acometida" can be the best term we have. We need a better alternative for Swing -"Mandoble" (this means a two handed sword attack and a Two Handed Sword, like an "Espadón").

However, all languages have their own intrinsic limitations and while no translation is perfect, it needs to work acceptably.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote