View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Translation problems in new GURPS Lite Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard
It cuts both ways. In college, I listened to a couple of friends, one of Cuban descent and one of Puerto Rican descent (but both native-born Americans), talking about the differences in the Spanish they learned at home. There were quite a few, surprisingly. They agreed, vehemently, on two points:

1) They HATED being called "Mexican-American," although they conceded that in Texas, it was a logical assumption.

2) Castilian Spanish was hysterical to listen to.
I have no doubts that it cuts both ways. That's why non-Spanish TV shows/movies/videogames get two spanish dubs, one for Castillian (More like general neutral Spain Spanish, as we have quite a lot of different accents in Spain, and TV series are usually dubed to something like you hear in public news channels, i.e. some form of standardized, aseptic peninsular Spanish) Spanish and one for South America.

Now, I supose that the Latin American Spanish you get in TV/film dubs is also some sort of medium Latin American Spanish, since, at least to my ears, an Argentinian sounds rather different to a Mexican or a Cuban.

Back to the point, GURPS Lite Spanish Edition is in no way ready for distribution, and should be taken down from e23 until it is. It's IMHO damaging the image of SJGames on both the Latin America and the European spanish speaking comunities.
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 12-21-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: clarifications and some things I though after posting
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote