View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #83
demonsbane

Default Re: Translation problems in new GURPS Lite Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
p23, under "Daño", daño básico frontal (frt) o lateral (ltl) -> ??? (We need better translations for Swing and Thrust. 3rd ed used Thrust->"Acometida", that was mostly ok, and Swing->"Mandoble", that was not, as it means two handed sword) [Misstranslation]
Another suggestion for translating Swing: Blandir (to brandish), a Spanish term matching with the meaning to translate here and also specially suited for the usage of weapons, free of troublesome assumptions like edge or number of hands. (1)

If it would be technically right to use Blandidura (and I'm not sure of it, (2)) or Blandida (uncommon), to my mind it would be the perfect couple for Acometida (3) (a great translation for Thrust).

Thus, "Thrust and Swing Damage" would be translated as "Daño de Acometida y de Blandir" o "Daño de Acometida y Blandidura" (o Blandida).

(1) There's available as well Sacudir, which is usable but more vulgar, deriving from it Sacudida in the same sense of Blandidura or Blandida (see above in this same reply).
(2) I see this term used in the precise sense of a GURPS Swing in a Wikipedia entry for a manga, speaking of the magic sword Tenseiga, able to open the door of the underworld with a single swing ("abrir la puerta al inframundo con una sola blandidura").
(3) Action of the verb Acometer.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote