View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
Plane

Default Re: Defensive Beats? Aggressive Parry with a weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
The normal Aggressive Parry is for unarmed vs. unarmed.
It's for unarmed vs ANYTHING, specific penalties are listed if you want to target an attacker's weapon.

I think it would make sense to allow Aggressive Parry (-1 to parry) for the benefit of weapons being able to attack other weapons.

It just feels a little off since they're paying the same -1 to only opt-in one category (weapons) since unarmed attacks are already opted-in targets.

It might work better if we didn't give weapons a free attack on unarmed attackers and made them pay the -1 for Aggressive Parry. We could assume those who are parrying without taking the -1 block with the flat, the guard, the non-tip, etc.

Would that be too big a game-changer?

It seems like the 2nd component of what you want to do is just replacing "hit causes damage" with "hit causes Beat" on Aggressive Parry.

The only substitution example I can remember is the suggestion of creating a punch-like 'slap' for sumo based on replacing it's 'shove'. Which was -1 to skill.

Charging -1 to substitute a shove for a punch or a punch for a shove makes me think charging -1 to substitute a beat for either feels right.

To be -2 to damage (as aggressive parry is compare to a punch) is basically like -4 to ST though, so the Beat perhaps ought to be -4 to ST in the Quick Contest?

It only feels right to allow this with Beats though, not Ruses or classic non-contact Feints.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote