View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
whswhs

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Musical Composition and Musical Instrument

In one of my early GURPS campaigns, the PCs were present-day British teenagers who strayed into the realm of the fair folk, aka the lands of eternal twilight. I asked the players to come up with a reason that their characters were all together on Midsummer Eve; four of them decided to be musically talented attendees at a summer music program. (The fifth decided to play the soccer hooligan son of the janitor at the facility.)

This was in the days of GURPS 3/e, when Musical Talent was 1 point/level; they took from two to five levels, and the woman playing the group's vocalist also naturally took Voice, so she had something like +7 to her Singing skill, I think. They travelled from Glastonbury to the Highlands to Ulster, or their twilight lands analogs, singing and playing and being treated as honored guests. There were more music rolls than combat rolls. In fact a typical song performance tended to call for a Singing or Musical Instrument roll for each of them, a Performance roll for each of them, and a Sex Appeal roll for the vocalist (the player had also taken a really high appearance rating). There were also rolls to compose new songs. At one point a member of the human group got into a dispute with the local queen's bard, and challenged her to a duel, which ended with a singing contest.

As to murder hobos, I haven't run a campaign with that focus in decades, and my players don't seem to want one. The most sociopathic of my campaigns was either the In Nomine campaign about a reality TV series made in Hell, or the campaign about a group of very talented consulting criminals.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote