View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
43Supporter

Default Re: Speaking of Autoduel Champions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
That's interesting. In spite of a lot of computer use growing up, I never got hooked by "cyberpunk" in any form. I think cyberlink is an actual term though, used by the US Army to describe the mechanism that gunship pilots use to target their autocannon via head motion. I thought that was kind of cool, helos and the grasshopper were kind of interesting.
What the "CyberLink" was describing was the helmet-mounted targeting gear attack-chopper pilots were just starting to use at the time. (IIRC: There were some very early models in the South-East-Asian Unpleasantness, but the stuff like is shown in _Fire Birds_ didn't come until much later.) The idea was: The wearer need only look at where the target is, and press the bang-button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
But you really think Cyberpunk brought down CW? Do you think ADChamps was some part of that?
If you can find a copy of it, read Bruce Sterling's _The Hacker Crackdown_; it provides most of the data needed. (The rest can be acquired just by looking at SJG product of the period.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote