View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #28
Blue Ghost

Default Re: Autoduel the PC Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I dug out my copy of The Official Book Of Ultima® from 1990 and indeed Akalabeth and Ultima (not yet I) were originally written in BASIC. Ultima had help from some machine language routines for doing its tile-based graphics and other things.

Ultima II, though, was written in machine language from the start; that was in 1982. Later on they rewrote Ultima I in machine language for the Ultima Trilogy version in 1986.

The only legal way would be finding a secondhand copy on eBay or similar. If all rights to the game-as-released have been given to SJG, then it's up to them as to whether and how to resume legal distribution of the game.
I had an acquaintance who had both games for his Apple 2e. Even for the time I wasn't too impressed with them as memorable as they are for some people. They're single player games where you lead four characters on a quest, but even for the time there were other games out there will full EGA graphics, and I didn't get why the versions I saw were three color CGA (which mostly looked like black and white graphics).

Interesting stories … I seem to recall you could kill lord British with a sailing vessel armed with canons.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote