View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #27
adm

Default Re: Sol-1 [Infinite Worlds]

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm not sure that it's valid to assume the collapse of the Soviet Union in this timeline. It seems plausible to suppose that it wasn't independent of US policy or of who was in the White House.

I'm not seeing how Hillary Clinton gets into the Senate if her husband was never President.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Well, Bill was Governor of Arkansas so that might be one possibility. I admit that I know nothing about the state apart from the fact that I can locate it on a map.
As somebody that lived across the border in the Ozarks, I suspect that H. Clinton would have had a decent shot at becoming a Senator from Arkansas, in a history where a Democratic Party South did not collapse. Given the generally more successful Democratic party posited here, it is not an unreasonable inclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, is William Proxmire dead in this reality? Because I can't imagine a massive space initiative happening while that ... person is alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Good point. Do we write in his brutal death or just keep his parents from ever meeting?
Why does he need to die, or not exist? Give him a change of career, or an early election loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Nuclear was never 'cheaper' than orbital solar. Even in the late-70s, it was experiencing delays, cost overruns, and safety issues due to scaling that concerned many of the scientists involved in the initial designs. At best, nuclear required a wholesale price of electricity of $100/MW-H (2019) to be profitable while orbital solar was potentially profitable at $25/MW-h (2019). In addition, orbital solar power is exportable while nuclear power is not, requiring only an easily built receiving field that can be assembled quickly and safely without issue....
1970 numbers would be nice to see, solar panels are a lot cheaper now, more durable, and lighter, plus Space-X has significantly limited the rate of growth on space launches.