Thread: TFT Play Style
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
larsdangly

Default Re: TFT Play Style

A somewhat longer format answer from a long-time (42 yr) player:

First, welcome to the TFT-iverse!

Second, here are some signature traits of the system that influence how it can be played and run:
- It's foundation is a particularly well made hex-and-chit board game. Much has been added on top and the end result is something that can be played as a 'theater of the mind' roleplaying game, but that base pervades most of the materials, and I would argue you are cheating yourself of a great experience if you don't embrace it. To me, it would be like playing chess without the board and pieces - yes, a human mind can do it, but the experience of the game really centers on observing and interacting with the board.
- The game system is very heavily supported by a range of physical components, like play surfaces, cards and dice. If you are just into collecting this sort of stuff there is a lot to collect, but if you make a habit of using them all at the table you will get a lot out of it. I can't count how many times in the last year I've hauled out my Decks of Destiny box, pulled a couple of cards and had a great couple of hours of play.
- The core rules are marked by a GURPS-like breadth of application (nearly any fantasy or pre-modern historical setting or character type is easily presented), but with a simplicity that is more like classic T&T (an experienced player can create any character type you name in under a minute and record all of their stats on a post-it note).
- The tone of the default implied setting feels to me a bit like diskworld meets ca. 1980 T&T solo dungeons. That said, the game doesn't have the same sort of center of gravity you find in D&D when it comes to the character of settings; you would feel at home launching into an ancient rome or renaissance Verona campaign as you would presenting the familiar mix of fantasy tropes.
- Conflicts are balanced and deadly, perhaps more so than any other fantasy game I can think of off hand. This is for the excellent reason that the game is rooted in a competitive board game system, and a board game that was unbalanced or gave one side a 'get out of death free' card would be terrible to play. But when applied to roleplaying, the end result is more like gritty fantasy fiction (think original, not pastiche, Conan tales) than D&D high fantasy.
- Character progression can go in any direction you wish but is bounded when it comes to advancement of core stats; this means you can easily create or grow most any character from history or fantasy fiction, but you won't naturally develop into the equivalent of a 20th level D&D character. You will always remain vulnerable and basically human(oid) despite any abilities you develop.
- The OP's suggestion re. game-breaking gonzo combat monsters is understandable because this forum contains a lot of tongue in cheek but misleading nonsense of that sort. But it is totally untrue; the system is arguably the most balanced fantasy game you will encounter when it comes to small fights. You can imagine a nearly infinite array of character types and many will have modest statistical advantages in some situations, but these all involve trade offs and opportunity costs that make them disadvantageous in other situations. The weirdest 'ringer' character types you will find people discussing in on-line discussions are just white-room thought exercises; none of them would make for game-dominating characters in play, and I've never seen such a thing work consistently at the table in 42 years of regular play.

Last edited by larsdangly; 11-14-2020 at 09:05 AM.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote