View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Inveet

Default GURPS Magic: (Sub)College of Metal

I've used GURPS magic a lot in my games, and for one of my latest games I started digging for additional spells both in other books(Thaumatology, etc), and on the internet with limited luck. So I figured I'd try to make a few spells myself. And I did. I modified a few spells that I found online to fit this (sub)college, and copied one directly(Hard Weapon). Feel free to have a look, and use it in your games/what not. Feedback is very welcome!

Also, my reason for expanding on metal spells, is that I didn't like how metal spells worked in GURPS Magic, and how they were split between technological spells and earth spells. Due to this, I've made some changes to a few of the spells found in GURPS Magic.

Spell Chart, drawn in MS Paint:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2d9wd8i.png

Spells that are just the same as the ones found in GURPS Magic:
Identify Metal, Shape Metal, Metal Vision, Earth to Stone.

Spells with altered pre-requisites:
Flesh to Stone: Now requires Earth to Stone and at least 4 Metal spells.
Steelwraith: Now requires Magery 2 and at least 6 Metal spells.
Puissance: Now requires Enchant and Hard Weapon.
Body of Metal: Now Requires Magery 2 and Metal Claw.
Iron Arm: Now requires 11 DX or higher and Metal Claw or Resist Pain.

Altered Spell - Inspired Creation(VH)(Regular)
Helps a subject create one weapon of a quality far beyond his usual ability. A weapon created under the effects of
this spell is automatically of fine quality, and a critical success creates a weapon of very fine quality. Weapons created this way are not technically magic items, but can be (and often are) enchanted further. This spell is also a Making and Breaking spell.
Duration: Permanent.
Cost: 10 per lbs the weapon weighs.
Time to Cast: 1 day(8 hours of work) per lbs the weapon weighs.
Prerequisites: Quick Creation.

Altered Spell - Dancing Weapon(VH)(Regular)
The subject metal weapon of this spell fights on it's own at the owner's command, hanging in the air as though it was wielded by an invisible warrior. It has skill equal to the caster's skill with the relevant weapon, it's speed is the same as the caster's, it's ST(for damage purposes) begins at 10 (see below). It moves according to it's caster's wishes, using intelligent strategy while following mental commands about which enemy to attack. It will only stop once it's either destroyed, suffers a critical hit, it critical misses, or if the caster tells it to stop or falls unconscious. One can strike a dancing weapon at a penalty(-4 for polearms, -5 for swords/axes, -6 for daggers). The weapon's ST scales with spell mastery, and every 5 levels in the spell beyond 10 gives the weapon+2 to ST (so a mage with Dancing Weapon at 20 amounts to a weapon with ST of 14).
Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 5 to cast. Same cost to Maintain. Multiply ST by 1.5x for double the cost!
Time to Cast: 3 seconds.
Prerequisites: Surging Blade, Dancing Object.
Item
Can be made permanent for 500 per pound of the weapon's weight (minimum 1 pound), replace «caster» with «owner» in the spell description. For 1000 per pound the weapon can be made to have it's ST multiplied by 1.5x.

Last edited by Inveet; 11-28-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Inveet is offline   Reply With Quote