View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #40
Joe

Default Re: GURPS Reprints - Magic, Thaumatology, and Ultra-Tech

I'm super-excited about the possibly of print-on-demand books for GURPS in future. Hard copies of GURPS books! Could there be anything better?
Surely not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We're collecting data on GURPS and will review things in early 2017. We've put a lot of staff resources into the line over the last three to four months, and every scrap of info we collect is going into one big pool that we'll swim in and explore soon enough.
No doubt I'm being paranoid, and I know the good people at SJGames are easily brilliant enough to have figured all this out - but since I love GURPS so much, and would desperately love to be able to get future books in hard copies, I just wanted to point out that this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
It looks like they can be purchased through Amazon's regular website as well. This is notable because Amazon free shipping, gift cards, and promotional codes may be used with them.
... means that the actual sales of the new POD versions of Magic, Thaumatology, and Ultra-Tech are obviously not going to be very representative of the promise of POD as a whole.

I'm strongly tempted to buy Ultra-Tech via the POD service, just to support the whole POD GURPS initiative - I think it's really exciting. But since Ultra-Tech happens to be available on Amazon right now, that's obviously the better option on paper, for me, due to free shipping, etc.

Now, if hard copies of other books were available via POD - books that we couldn't get hard copies of any more convenient way - then that would be a real test of the promise of POD for gurps.

Again, I feel silly pointing this out, since it's so obvious, and I have full confidence in everyone at SJGames' ability to have thought all this through far, far more deeply than I have. But I thought I'd point it out anyway, just because I'm so eager for POD GURPS to succeed, and want to remove every possible obstacle in the way of that happening!

Thanks