View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #39
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Ramming Speed vs Throwing Speed with a side order of Log ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Two problems with your math. First is that real world throwing doesn't take 1 second, a 522 yard throw takes about 10 seconds. Second is that muscle force curves drop off with velocity, so that simple rule of thumb does overstate range.
Actually, the problem is with your "formula" as it doesn't account for time. The van cannot be thrown over more than one second for your formula (distance < 10m). But, your formula doesn't account for that.

Additionally, we're talking about super heroes which go more by comics than by anything else.

With Supers, it is established that they can throw massive objects great distances. GURPS already acknowledges this. If you want to continue discussing throw distance for the real world I would invite you to create your own thread.

Kalzazz, my main problem with using melee damage for throwing is the major disconnect of throwing something heavy, really fast but the impact does hardly any damage compared to the slam potential.

If Pink Light punches someone she does 8d-1 (ignoring melee bonuses for the moment). But, if she slams someone with her move of 150 and her 60 hp, she does a whopping 90d. By my rebuild, she would do (8d, +11 / die, +88 is +25d) 33d in a slam. Which is still a lot, but also a lot more manageable.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote