View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #46
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: A Wizardry Talent (unpublished 1982 Interplay article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Looks like it only requires 14 points (but IQ 15 prereq for Advanced Sorcery) because sorcery and wizardry only cost 3 if you know the other one.
I forgot the discounts! Hahaha. It's been a long time.

Quote:
So a starting wizard could be ST 8 DX 9 IQ 15 and know all of those, and would have half-ST costs for spells, 8 ST-based mana, and another 30 IQ-based mana.

Team them up with a couple of assistants at say ST 10 DX 13 IQ 9 with the Aid spell, and they could Aid the wizard/sorceror's DX.
Oh yeah, combining those talents would make for one awfully powerful wizard in proportion to that wizard's Attributes.

Advanced Sorcery made it possible to have that high IQ wizard who liked to work alone, reclusive in his tower concentrating on research and magic item creation. With mana equal to double that IQ of at least 15, the need to socialize with apprentices, or even have apprentices, would be minimized. This is not the wizard you ever want to **** off and see stepping out of that tower however :)

Quote:
Your frame of reference is a lot different since your game worlds already had wizards with a bunch of talents in addition to a full IQ of spells.

In our games, most wizards would tend to have very limited talents because of the conflict of resources.

The advanced talents, if available in our campaigns, would have been obvious choices for all wizards who got past starting level, especially Advanced Sorcery.
Since we were not doubling the cost of talents for wizards in our world, but weren't doing so just to unbalance everything, that was the trick to keep them away from taking too many of the fighter/hero talents: incentives to stay concentrated on wizardry. You could be a wizard with lots of weapon skills and mundane talents if you wanted to be, but then you'd be passing up these chances to be a better and better wizard.

My thing now is figuring out how best to do all this over for a new world in the Legacy Edition era. I wouldn't want to keep the two methods of spell casting, Wizardry and Sorcery, in the same world. It seems in any duel between one of each with otherwise equal attributes, the Sorcerer would beat the Wizard every time. Putting a high ST Wizard up against a high IQ Sorcerer would seem to even out, until remembering the Sorcerer will have more spells and higher IQ spells to work with in the confrontation.

Which would mean finding new magical talents to act as those incentives to keep wizards on the straight an narrow, assuming they want to be the best at wizardry they can be. The new XP rules are going to make this harder, because practically unlimited talents will be available to advancing characters. I'd rather see them forced to make some hard choices.

Well I've got a couple ideas I'll drop in here when I have it all tweaked a bit more. Lovers of the RAW may hate me though :)