View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
Jeff Lord

Default Re: Trying to make consistent sense of what damage and healing represent

TippetsTX wrote:

"So in the context of this discussion, I think it is very quantifiable. I'm fairly confident that those of us who land on the 'per wound' side of this debate would define a wound as a single hit or, more specifically, any successful attack action (or threat event) which results in damage to the target’s ST. To your point, that is still an abstraction, but an acceptable one and for the sake of consistency, we should agree on a common lexicon at least."

That's the problem for me. I don't find this particular abstraction "acceptable" at all. As a result, I am unable to agree to your proposed definition/lexicon. I am not calling you "wrong" and I understand that this works for you (and others), but my players and I simply, but respectfully, don't agree. I feel that the abstraction that we play by, "leans" in the direction of realism more than any other that I have seen thus far.

I maintain that a "wound" is still very hard to quantify. Nothing in TFT, LE or otherwise, would definitively indicate the intention of "hits taken" as equating to the concept of "wounds" under discussion. And I'm sure there are quite a few folks out there with fencing, HEMA, MMA, etc. experience (including myself) who would also maintain that too much can happen in any given 5 second increment of time to say that only one single "wound" could occur. It's one of the reasons I've enjoyed TFT for so long; it has never claimed to be a simulation. Still, the whole "leaning" thing. . .

TippetsTX further wrote:

"This is exactly the kind of effect I was trying to address (in abstract, obviously) with my proposed change to how the Physicker talents work, namely requiring an IQ roll that gets harder for each subsequent 'wound' that the healer is attempting to treat."

I liked your ideas quite a bit. I found them very well thought out. As stated, above though, I disagree with your base premise of "the wound." And, ultimately your proposed changes were just a touch too "crunchy" for my group's style - still cool though.

And finally:

"I like what you are going for here, but I wonder if the half-ST threshold is problematic. Do we round up or down? Would it apply equally to a 30 ST giant as well as a 10 ST human? Should the giant really take a -1 DX penalty when he still has 14 ST?"

Thanks for the catch; I should have said "half your ST or less." And yes, I think the giant should take a -1 DX penalty when he still has 14 ST. His overall system is just as taxed as his human contemporary (i.e. he has taken a proportional number of hits). It's still early days yet though and I'm not done playing around with the concept.
Jeff Lord is offline   Reply With Quote